Monday, February 26, 2018

13 Reasons Why Not Continued + NP4H!

Last week was a quiet week yet at the same time it brought some great news!

I say quiet because we spent all of last weeks finishing projects and doing mini bonding activities that helped the mentors/mentees get to know each other and did a few rounds of gallery walks to share what everyone was up to with their project. The example I drew to show them what I was looking for regarding the project product was totally blown out of the water, so many of them took their creativity to the next level, representing their 13 reasons in such unique and fun ways. I begin grading them this week and so far I am totally taken back by the students I serve - their zest for life and humor they put into this allowed me to get to know them on a new level. The letters they attached to their projects were written to friends and family, but often I found that a lot of my students were writing letters to themselves to thank themselves for being strong during dark times, for never giving up. This really shifted my perspective toward understanding how resilient, strong, and mature these young people really are. They are such an inspiration to me and I am glad they were able to take a moment to thank themselves, to show some recognition and some self love for how far they've come while also using their drawings to represent how far they have yet to go- there are so many accomplishments left to be experienced in the future and I look forward to following every single one of them after they graduate to keep up with all the magnificent things they accomplish. They are little world changers in the making.

The great news I received was that I will be taking over as sponsor for the No Place for Hate Club! The club stands for everything the YESS program represents, and personally, I feel that my personality represents everything the club represents as well. I am happy to take over to help them organize events, raise money, and raise awareness, acceptance, and spread love during this politically depressing time for many of our students.

Here are some of the finished products I really loved:






This student included the YESS program in her reasons, it made me smile.



Until next week,
Ms Castro

No comments:

Post a Comment