Monday, October 23, 2017

Fall Break & Senior Night

Last week was full of productivity and much needed rest as Fall Break quickly approached Adams 14!

In the beginning of the week lesson planning for the next few months came into play for me as a teacher of the YESS program, this was vital as I have been working 6 days a week usually using my Sunday's to plan for the upcoming week. I now have the opportunity to actually have Sunday's to myself in the upcoming weeks! I am feeling prepared and relieved of stress, I am so thankful to have had this time to prepare and organize my office.

Although I had Wednesday through Friday off, I used part of my Friday to witness my senior YESS boys compete at their last home football game of their high school career. Carlos B, #2, made one of the only touch downs of the whole game! He is reportedly the fastest student in the school and he definitely lived up to this rumor! Kevin, #73, is a force I would NEVER want to see on the opposite team in front of me, he is nicknamed "the train" as he plows anything in his path. It was amazing to see them in action and experiencing their truest passion. I loved surprising them at the end of the game and getting to meet their families and express what a light in my life these two are. They make it a point to reach out to students who sit by themselves and come to my office after school just to talk about YESS lessons, life, and Netflix shows. These young men truly care about the people around them and getting the most out of life in more than just an academic sense. The year isn't even half-way over and I'm already starting to get emotional about them leaving my everyday life but I know they will go on to do amazing things. Remember these faces and these numbers because they will be scoring points on your TV one day! Below me in the photo is a Eagle Football fan and Mentor Leader of mine, Jen C, who is also killing it! We watched the game together and she surprised me by telling me that she just found out that she got a FULL RIDE to a handful of IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS!!!!!! Her dream of going to Notre Dame is now within reach. What a life milestone and accomplishment! She is a first generation college attendee and she reached this goal all by herself through consistently telling herself daily that the sky is the limit, she reached for something and grabbed it with passionate intention. I am so so so proud of all three of these intelligent, compassionate, determined, charming, unique, genuine young people, I am incomprehensibly lucky to be their teacher.



Until next week,
Ms. Castro

No comments:

Post a Comment