Monday, October 22, 2018

Fall Break!

Welcome back everyone!

There is not too much exciting news to update you all on as last week was Fall Break for ACHS.

Aside from getting grading and planning done myself I know that the kids had a restful break full of no worries and a LOT of sleep while I had some much needed peace and quiet in my classroom :-)

A highlight that I will mention though relates to The Hate U Give premiere!



I took two students, Shalayah and Lizbeth, to go see the movie on opening night. We laughed and cried together and after the movie on the way to drop them off we had an intense conversation about our own experiences with discrimination and how the movie did or did not apply to our lives. It was a heavy movie to watch but the message was so real and so very necessary to have that story told. Personally, I loved how digestible the movie was for youth to understand, it was the first time that I saw police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement being portrayed so honestly on the big screen, which in itself is monumental for cinema and for american culture alone.

Go see it in theaters asap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MM8OkVT0hw

Until next week,
Ms C

No comments:

Post a Comment