Monday, April 2, 2018

Midterms & ~Mentor Leader Moves~

Welcome back, everyone!

The week before break got out went by in the blink of an eye. Although, for many of my students that week went by in the exact opposite way as they were stressing big time over mid-term testing from other classes. I allowed them to use that last week to get studying and tutoring done and, to my delight, they really did take advantage of it. It was almost eerie how quiet and focused my classes were that week but it showed me how serious they were about their grades so that was refreshing. I also gave make up assignment opportunities where students who have zeros on assignments could choose a credible article on the topic they were absent for/missed and they can make it up for up to 75% by having a 15 minute conversation with me about it. A few kids jumped on the opportunity and it was nice to sit and chat one on one in a way that lets me know what they've learned conversationally rather than via worksheet.

My mentor leaders also took a field trip with me to Westy to see Ben's room and meet all of the other program managers and mentor leaders. They were excited to see who else was in their position in other schools so that was super adorable to see them outside of their comfort zones yet advocating for getting things done regarding the breakfast/ End of Year Event, etc. Deadlines, phew! The end of the year is coming at us faster than we think so staying on top if it after spring break is crucial.

On the way to the meeting they definitely did not let me pass Little Man's without stopping, ha! How cute are they? They didn't know each other well at all before this year and now they are good buddies, I love seeing that. I'm going to miss them so much when they graduate.



ALSO! GREAT NEWS! 

NOT ONE BUT TWO OF MY SENIOR MENTOR LEADERS RECEIVED THE DANIELS FUND SCHOLARSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

WoOoO, go Jen and Haaron (middle and right ones in the pic)! I have been emotional all morning, I am proud beyond words and excited to see the doors that this opportunity opens for them. I am also interested in how their stress levels will begin to even out to a healthy level because being a Mentor Leader, a senior, applying for schools, scholarships, financial aid, etc. is TAXING mentally and emotionally! Now they are on the euphoric side of the stress level to where they have the options but are not exactly sure which road to choose. What a wonderful stress to have :-)

Until next week,
Ms. C

1 comment: